- What distinguishes self-initiated expatriates from assigned expatriates and migrants? A literature-based definition and differentiation of terms (2015)
- The goal of this paper is to examine regularities and differences in the application of the three terms assigned expatriate (AE), self-initiated expatriate (SIE) and migrant as the criteria for demarcation are unclear (Al Ariss, 2010; Baruch, Dickmann, Altman, &Bournois, 2010). This research adopts a qualitative approach, using the tool of qualitative content analysis (Mayring, 2010). The data base includes 244 definitions from 10 sociological, psychological and business journals. Results indicate that migrant is the umbrella term for AE and SIE. Therefore a SIE is a migrant who executes his dependent work abroad. In contrast to AEs, decision of employment is made by the host country organization and the first formalized action (i. e. job application) is undertaken by the individual.
- Addressing international mobility confusion – Developing definitions and differentiations for self-initiated & assigned expatriates as well as migrants (2014)
- A taxonomy of global careers: Identifying different types of international managers. (2014)
- Research on expatriates indicates that substantial differences exist within internationally active employees. Several typologies of expatriates have been suggested to account for this diverseness. However, empirical evidence on the accuracy of these classification schemes is scarce. Based on these research efforts, we introduce a data-based taxonomy of internationally mobile managers. By means of sequence analysis we derive four career patterns from the curriculi vitae of 202 German managers. These patterns are built on the dimensions mobility and duration of the stays abroad. We further show that these patterns differ with regard to various individual and organizational variables. Based on these findings, we argue that expatriation career management practices and responsibilities need to be differentiated.
- Self-Initiated Repatriation at the Interplay between Field, Capital, and Habitus: An analysis based on Bourdieu's Theory of Practice (2013)
- Personalmanagement (2013)
- Wir müssen umdenken! (2013)